Friday, January 13, 2017

HIDDEN FIGURES



Hidden Figures is a practically perfect film, and I loved every single thing about it...nothing is more personally satisfying to me than a movie that is cast correctly, and this one gets it right with every character...
It's the historically important true story of the African-American mathematician Katherine Johnson and her two colleagues, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson, who, while working in the segregated West Area Computers division of Langley Research Center, helped NASA catch up in the Space Race...using these calculations, John Glenn became the first American astronaut to make a complete orbit of Earth....
Octavia Spencer is always a sure thing, and the beautiful Janelle MonΓ‘e is compelling here, and definitely has a future in film... Kevin Costner was made for this role, and is excellent in it, but Taraji P. Henson is definitely the center of this flick's orbit (pun intended)...she's always good in everything, but in this she's an absolute revelation...never seen a better performance...
Loved the character development, and the way that it deals with racial struggle in a wide-eyed, matter-of-fact way without being overly preachy... Pharrell Williams' music is also a welcome addition here...
This isn't just an inspirational story for People of Color, and it's not just a story about women's issues (although I took my granddaughter, and think it's a good movie to take every daughter to see)...and it's not just an American History piece...it's really a story about challenging convention on every level, and is quite culturally relevant at this time...it's just a great movie...
I really hope that John Glenn saw this before he transitioned a few weeks ago, or was at least aware of it, because it's quite a tribute to him, as well...the very appealing Glen Powell does a great job portraying him...
Definitely recommend...

Kelly Trewolla I loved this movie!
Sonya Sawyer It was a great movie about outstanding women!
Sandy Dorland Couldn't wait to see your review... Didn't disappoint!
Marlisa Hughes Absolutely love reading your movie reviews. The majority of movies that I see are chosen based on your input.
UnlikeReply1January 9 at 8:33pmEdited
Jim Swilley πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š
Donald Cofield Okay. I didn't read past the first paragraph because I am itching to see this movie and couldn't take any chances of any spoilers whether there are any or not. But it looks like it is going to be fabulous!
Jim Swilley πŸ‘πŸΌ
Brenda Bevelle Yarbrough another good review, on my list to see
Karl McIntosh Cobos Thank you for the review. I definitely want to see it. Much of the movie was filmed here in Atlanta. I didn't get on that one but many of my friends did..three of them ended up in the picture in USA today on the cover of the movie section.😊
Jim Swilley I thought a few places looked familiar...
Stephanie M. Gale I believe that some was filmed in Monroe, Ga.
JB Wanza Jr. Indeed. I could not agree with you more. Another great film shot here in Atlanta..
Becky Hopkins The article in Parade said that John Glenn didn't get to see it; they tried to get it to him but his health was apparently declining too much. The article did say that his wife and family gave their approval of it.
UnlikeReply3January 9 at 8:47pmEdited
Jim Swilley Wow...OK, thanks
Becky Hopkins You're welcome. I was sad to find out that he didn't get to see it before he died.
Karl McIntosh Cobos 4 friends in the pic. Jim Barnett (just behind her, right), Gregory Rose (Right with glasses), Tim Campione, up front left), and James Stumpfig (tall, behind Tim).
Jim Swilley Cool!
Loraine Bedford I saw the movie and agree with your review 100 percent. It's an awesome movie.
Angela Allan Before reading your review, I have plans to see the movie Tuesday. So glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to your reviews 
Irma Crump I am looking forward to seeing the movie, because I have been trying to get through the book for weeks now. I can't, I just can't.
Yvonne Fuller Great review Bishop, spot on. I really loved it. I would definitely take my daughter's Andy grand daughter. Beautiful entertainment while historical as well. Henry Smith would love it.
Valerie Bridgeman I've seen it twice and will see it again with a different colleague. I said the same thing you did about John Glenn. I hope he saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment