Tuesday, April 17, 2018

COME SUNDAY


I've known Bishop Carlton Pearson for too long, know him too well, am too close to his story, and can personally relate to it too deeply to be able to objectively review this film, so I'm officially recusing myself from it.  

In a word, I already loved it before I saw it...loved the idea of it...loved when he first told me that the amazing Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing him in it...so there's no way that I can be objective about any of it. But I must say that even I was surprised at how much more I actually loved it after I finally saw it.

So this is not a review, per se...more of a list of observations.

I love that it's on Netflix for a myriad of reasons. Very modern and savvy distribution choice.

I love Ejiofor's brilliantly subtle and compelling portrayal of Pearson.

I love all the casting, especially that of the great Martin Sheen as Oral Roberts.

I love that the production is understated enough to be believable.

I really love that Carlton had enough say about the construction of the script that he could intentionally keep it on the high road...I mean, I know the story firsthand, and what is portrayed in the film is all true, but definitely told from the perspective of someone who is not bitter from betrayal. This could have easily been a tabloid-type tell-all, but instead it's a beautifully crafted piece of work that is authentic, yet uplifting.

I love that my friend and colleague, Bishop Yvette Flunder, is portrayed in it, and that her connection with Pearson is an integral part of the story.

Most of all, I love the platform that 'Come Sunday' gives the real Gospel, which simply means "Good News"...no more, no less...and the dialogue that it is inspiring around the world.

Definitely recommend.

Comments
Avery Price Rogers i just finished watching....wow...
Manage
LikeShow more reactions
Reply18h
Denise Smith Yes! Great review! One of the things I loved the most was that it was completely non-threatening. The "good news" was offered in such a loving, precisely measured dose..that anyone who was already on the brink of an awakening could taste and savor tho...See More
Manage
LoveShow more reactions
Reply18h
Jim Swilley Beautiful 
Manage
LikeShow more reactions
Reply18h
Valerie Bridgeman I decided, for your reasons (though I have not personally known him as long as you have), not to review the film. And I mean ALL your reasons. Lord, what that could have been if ALL the cover was off all the betrayal. But we didn't need all the dirty details to feel and know the depths. Bless you, friend.
Manage
LoveShow more reactions
Reply17h
LikeShow more reactions
Reply17hEdited
Mike Williams And Bishop Pearson would never allow that to happen. It simply isn’t in him to do that.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions
Reply17h
Bernie Adams Great pic Bish, I so love the sacramental dress and robes-I know you and uncle earl were always there for bishop Pearson. #reapingandsowing
Manage
LikeShow more reactions
Reply12h
Gregg Kennard Loved it. Years ago when I went down a similar path, a detractor handed me a Charisma magazine that blasted Pearson as a heretic. While they intended to use the periodical as a way to wake me up, it was actually a real lifeline to me at the time...verifying what I was hearing and feeling. Thank God for progress.

Great review as always.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions
Reply1hEdited

No comments:

Post a Comment