Tuesday, October 3, 2017

MOTHER!


I was interested in seeing 'mother!' because the trailer looked really cool and creepy, and I like everyone in the cast (Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Ed Harris) a lot. I intentionally didn't read anything about it beforehand, and went to see it not knowing what to expect. For the first 30 minutes, it appeared to me that it was going to be a kind of re-make of the horror classic 'Rosemary's Baby', but that's not what it is at all.

What it is is a strange combination of a study in what fame can do to a relationship, and what the demands of sacrificial, unconditional love can do to a person, along with a kind of bizarre and very violent biblical allegory, complete with an Adam and an Eve and a Cain who kills an Abel and even a very insightful yet disturbing observation of religious Christian communion.

The last half kind of makes you feel like you're hallucinating because of the fast pace of it, and as soon as it was over I admit that I had to read about it to fully understand what the heck I had just seen.

It's well done for what it is, and I'll give it kudos for originality, but it's not the kind of film that you actually enjoy. It's more of the kind of film that you appreciate. Can't say that I necessarily recommend, unless you're a fan of director Darren Aronofsky's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment