Thursday, July 20, 2017

RETHINKING CASABLANCA


OK, OK...I take back anything I may or may not have said that may or may not have sounded negative about Casablanca! It's not that I hated it, or even disliked it, really...I just have always thought that it was a little overrated, especially for the way that it's generally put in the league with the big classics like Citizan Kane, etc. 

I mean, I know all about it. I know that famed director Michael Curtiz won the Best Director Oscar for it, and I know all of the lines that have become a part of our American lexicon. As a rule, I wholeheartedly agree with the consensus of AFI, or other such organizations that consider it to be in the Top Ten of films appreciated for excellence in cinematic achievement., but I just never thought it was really all that.

Until tonight.

I actually just went to see it this evening it because it's the only vintage classic that they're showing this year at the Fox Theatre Coca-Cola Summer FILM Festival (a travesty, but I digress)...and, well, I repent for not appreciating it like I should have, because it's awesome.


I won't review the film itself, because I don't need to, but I will review the evening. It was just a wonderful experience seeing it on the big screen, and with an audience that knows it well, and really loves it and gets it. I've grown so accustomed to seeing dumbed-down modern flicks with dumbed-down modern audiences that it was a pleasant surprise to be a part of a crowd that got the wit and the humor, and laughed in all the right places, and didn't talk over the lines, and generally showed their appreciation by their appropriate response and reaction to all of it. 


An added pleasure was seeing it at the Fox itself...not just because it's my favorite theatre, but in particular because of the Moroccan architecture and motif. Rick's cafe and the external shots of Casablanca looked like an extension of where we were sitting. It was a heady experience. 

I loved, loved, loved every single frame of it, and I'm so glad that I went a got a paradigm shift!

Here's looking at you, Casablanca!




Helen Hedrick Griffin You are a writer also. I'm going to come see you soon on Ponce my important friend

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
12 hrs
Manage
Chuck Longino Bish, Ingrid Bergman is the classic screen equivalent to Suzanne Pleshette for me. Big time crush. First time I saw the movie was "Academy Award Theatre", Sunday morning on TBS. Glad you enjoyed it and I'm jealous as heyull that you saw it at the Fox.

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
6 hrs
Manage
Jim Swilley We saw a few things there together over the years...hope you had a great birthday!

LikeShow more reactions
Reply2 hrs
Manage
Chuck Longino Thanks bro

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
2 hrs
Manage
Deb Perkins Muehlstein Glad you you saw the light... Ha... Ha... I've always enjoyed the movie... when you said what you did before... I actually went back & watched it again... I take your movie reviews seriously... glad we can now agree on this one... ðŸ˜Š❤️

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
4 hrs
Manage
Jim Swilley ❤️

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
2 hrs
Manage
Michelle Reyna I was there too! I agree with everything about this post. It was such a different way of seeing it and I largely have the audience to thank for it. Being surrounded by the fans made it such a cool experience.

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
1 hr
Manage
Jim Swilley Yeah, it was great

LikeShow more reactions
Reply3 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment