Saturday, February 11, 2017

LION


We've been trying to catch 'Lion' for over a month now, but haven't been able to work out a time to see it together until today, and, well, it lived up to all the hype and then some! In a word, it's BREATHTAKING...

I just can't find any fault in this film...powerful and compelling true story of a young Indian boy who gets lost somewhere in the vastness of his country, and finally reunites as an adult with his mother and sister in the tiny and remote village from which he originated...stunning cinematography...every frame is beautifully shot...the ever-charismatic Dev Patel is as engaging as always here (he's excellent in everything in which I've seen him)...Nicole Kidman definitely deserves the Oscar nomination she received for her moving performance...the emotional reunion at the end reminded me a lot of the ending of 'The Color Purple', and affected me just as much, and in the same way...


But the real take-away for me is adorable young Sunny Pawer who plays the lead character as a boy...his is the most hauntingly understated performance that I've ever witnessed from a child actor...just absolutely heart-breaking and astounding...side note: I read that we has unable to attend the premier because he wasn't granted a visa... :-(


Anyway...

Loved it.

Recommend it. 
Bring kleenex...

No comments:

Post a Comment